Saturday, December 16, 2006

Letting go of negative emotions in your Tai Chi / Qigong Practice

This past weekend was quite a challenge for me, personally. I found myself frustrated, annoyed, angry at times and very much away from my center. No need for details here; suffice to stay that there were MANY straws on this camel’s back. Driving to my first class Monday morning, I still had not shaken these feelings and thoughts. I was at a loss for what to cover with our students this week during class. Then, literally as I turned into the Carrollton Senior Center parking lot, a song came on the radio that “snapped me to” in just a few notes. I can not recall any other time where I had such a rapid and profound (positive) mental and emotional reset but there I was, my center and perspective back in place.

I walked into class with a smiling heart and shared my experience in Carrollton and with each class this week. What song it was (Jack Johnson) is not nearly as important as where it transported me. Within seconds, I was back at Camp John Marc with my Juvenile Arthritis kids; Sitting on the concrete floor, with about 40 staffers and 90 kids, watching a photo slideshow of our fun week at camp, partially set to that wonderful song. Tears of joy streamed down my face as I relived the week’s fun memories, so fresh in my mind. So, there it was, my lesson for the week. I decided to talk about letting go. I know, letting go is easier said than done, this weekend was a great case in point. But looking back, I realize that at any point in time I could have made the choice to “let go”. I imagine how I would have felt if I had heard that song mid-day Saturday. What would my weekend have looked like then?

Because Tai Chi happens on physical, mental and emotional levels, holding on to negative emotions such as stress, frustration, anxiety and anger can affect each level of your training in very profound ways. Conversely, Tai Chi can bring these types of unresolved emotions to the surface asking to be dealt with. I have seen many students experience negative emotions and releases, including myself, during their Tai Chi practice. I have even seen good students leave their Tai Chi training behind because they were not ready to deal with these surfacing, often deep rooted, emotions.

Tai Chi is a very individual experience that reflects our personality. Because we are working to create a balance with nature, our true nature is revealed whether we like it or not. ;-) Frustration, high expectations and anxiety can derail a Tai Chi “newbie” as easily as a veteran player if they allow it to happen. One way to subdue these derailments is to return to basics. Your foundation, foot work, posture and breath. In class this week, we used our Qigong warm-ups to move ourselves closer to center. I asked students to focus their attention on tying breath and movement together as seamlessly as possible. Creating a smooth, gentle flow; a unison of physical and mental awareness. Tie this together with a smiling heart and you have the true essence of Tai Chi and Qigong practice.

Returning to fundamentals, earnest concentration on physical, mental and spiritual balance will gently move you back to your center in the most wonderful way. As with everything in life, the more you practice, the easier it gets.

No comments: