Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanks Tai Chi!

Being a short week with a reduced class schedule, I wanted to keep things simple in class. I felt compelled to ask everyone to join me in feeling thankful and reaching for our "smiling hearts".

Real, physical benefits...
As I have mentioned before, being able to tap into our smiling energy can bring about very real, physical benefits. Scientifically, it has been shown that laughing, smiling and feeling happy releases chemicals that help to relax muscles, reduce blood pressure and provide an overall sense of well being. Not to mention that people will want to be around you, sharing in your happiness. It is contagious! Take it from someone who took MANY years to find his smiling heart, life is much easier on this side of the fence.

We all have much to be thankful for...
In my profession, I have spent time working with people of all ages dealing with physical, mental and emotional challenges. While each person touches my heart in some way, the children have always touched me the deepest. I have been blessed with the opportunity to work with children the physical challenges of Juvenile Arthritis, Muscular Dystrophy and other potentially terminal illnesses. It took me a long time to reconcile for myself a personal understanding as to why these children are made to suffer so much at such a tender, innocent age. I have shed many tears in meditation on this subject. With all these children go through, it always amazes me how strong and mature they handle their particular challenges. They seem to always have a smile and seem grateful for everything around them. I firmly believe that these, very special children, are advanced souls sent here to TEACH US lessons of compassion, understanding and unconditional love... Are we listening?

Personal thanks....
I have many things to be thankful for in my life... My wife Fayne, our beautiful sons, our health and this amazing path of love, light and sharing we walk together. I am so grateful to each of our students who come to class each week with an open, loving heart ready to work for their own betterment. Each of you, each day fill my heart with joy and love. Thank you!

I would like to encourage each of you reading this blog entry to take 5 minutes to sit down and contemplate all of the things you are thankful for in your life. Feel the love & gratitude flow through your body; notice tension and stress begin to drift away as you focus more and more on your gratitude and love. Relax your breath, open your heart and smile.

There, you have just added to your life expectancy...

No comments: